Guest Post: Colleen's French Tomato Tart

Hi there! I'm Colleen from the blog Inspired to Share, and I'm so honored to be on Maia's blog while she's off getting married! Congratulations, Maia! Since Maia and I are both foodies at heart, I thought it would be fitting to share a recipe. :) Food has a beautiful way of bringing people together and cooking has become one of the favorite ways for my husband and I to spend quality time together. Whatever your skills might be in the kitchen (I'll be the first to admit that my husband is a much better cook than me!), it's such a fun way to enjoy marriage and have fun together.

We recently got a huge basket of tomatoes from my mother-in-law's gardens and I wanted to do something fun and different with them, beyond the typical spaghetti sauce. I decided to try making a tomato tart! It's a delicious French recipe that's both simple and flavorful. Anything with goat cheese is a win in my book, and this is also a great way to use up fresh herbs! This French tomato tart is a vegetarian recipe that's delicious for breakfast or dinner!



French Tomato Tart (adapted from this NY Times recipe)

Ingredients
1 yeasted olive oil pastry (1/2 recipe)*
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell peppers, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs combination (parsley, thyme, & basil were my favorite!)
2 eggs
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

*Tip to save time: I made the crust a day ahead and froze it. Then when you're getting ready to cook, thaw the dough and roll flat.



Directions


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 10-inch tart pan and line it with the pastry. Keep in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.

2. Brush the mustard over the bottom of the dough. Slice the tomatoes and arrange over the mustard in concentric circles, overlapping them slightly and filling the pie about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and herbs. Then add chopped peppers and onions.



3. Beat together the eggs and goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the tomatoes. Drizzle on the olive oil. Place in the oven and bake 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is nicely browned. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.

Enjoy! :)


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, Maia! Congratulations!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for filling in for me as wedding prep gets crazier and crazier :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa | I Still Love YouOctober 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM

    Oh my word, this looks amazing, Colleen!! Mmm, might need to make this for Sunday brunch for Chris's birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

quantcast

2012. Powered by Blogger.

analyticstracking.php

conundrum All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger